Coup

Today being the anniversary of the attempted coup by the Jamat al muslimeen, the office was abuzz with talk of how each person recalls it. I was like 7 when it occurred. I remember something coming over the television, my mom telling me to run up the road and call my dad, who was liming by the bar...sadly when i reported to him that the red house was burning down i was greeted with a whole lot of laughter from the other men there, asking if i was crazy, I kept insisting over and over again with such urgent in my voice the barman , was forced to turn on his T.V, then realizing that it was true, the bar emptied as everyone ( drunk and sober) headed off home. The days to follow, i remember the neighbors coming together to ' lock down" the village, no one could get in or out. There was alot of looting, and in my tiny head, free candy. Many of the warehouses where I'm located was looted, I remember the chocolates, perfume and Vienna sausages....then my mom took us to our grandparents house in central, where we stayed till everything went back to normal, my dad stayed home. It was an exciting time for me, i was none the wiser of how dangerous the situation was. I'm thankful that it didn't turn out much worse. I've sure seen alot of stuff in my life time.

1 comments:

curious-mind-set July 27, 2009 at 8:17 PM  

Well what an experience, so i have been told by my parents as well as siblings but as u said u were running well i couldn't walk at the time the coup was taking place lol. hmm the looting was in abundance or so i have been told well up here y me a lot of persons looted the now known MTS plaza because back then it was a shopping mall. hmmm now it makes me if it happened now so i could attempt some looting but i guess times have changes and hopefully if it happens again it would be different.

Christmas Countdown

Followers